Thursday, December 30, 2010

LOST

My name is Juan. My middle name is Pablo. I was born in Barranquilla, place that I love deeply. Five feet and seven inches separate me from the ground while one hundred and sixty pounds keep me attached to it. My eyes are somewhere in between hazel and green. I’ve got a few freckles.

I never shave, use a groomer instead. I’ve got some cow’s feet that make me feel old. I once had braces. I’ve never worn glasses. I never wear white underwear. I only buy black shoes. I only use black wallets. I’ve used the same perfume since 1994. I sing when I’m alone. I sing whenever I feel like I want to sing. I have five scars on my face, but people rarely notice any of them. I’ve never stolen anything from a store, I’ve never kept anyone’s change, I never pulled money out of my dad’s wallet. I have seeped at the train station.

I’ve had a tear in my right thigh since 1993 that affects my foothold. I’ve had a broken ligament in my right elbow since 2004. I love roller coasters. I love the sea. I love a soccer field. I love Minnesota.

I’ve been to 22 different departments (states) in Colombia, out of 31, and the more I travel the more beautiful I find the country I was born in; I’ve visited three different borders (Brazil, Ecuador, Venezuela). I’ve been to Panama. I have been to 19 different states in the US. I have been to 7 cities in Canada. I’ve never been to Europe, or any other continent. Vancouver is probably the most awesome city I have ever visited.

As a child I admired Superman, Spiderman and Mike Tyson. I practiced Taekwondo from 1986 to 1988. In 1990 I earned the most important prize I’ve ever achieved; I even was on the newspaper. It’s a pity after 18 years I still haven’t beaten my own personal record. I’ve always been a procrastinator, but somehow I manage to finish the assignment on time.

I’ve learned not to judge people. I’ve learned to stand against people’s judgments. I’ve lost games. I’ve lost money. I’ve lost friends. I’ve never lost my dreams; I have a lust to achieve them. I’ve learned how to be patient. I’ve learned how to manage people’s impatience. I’ve experienced the feeling of loss, grief, sorrow and desperation. I’ve had glimpses of joy, success, euphoria and inner stillness. When the sky is heavily overcast I still know the sun is on the other side; I don’t know if that’s good or bad.

I’ve learned to stay away from some people. I’ve had to stay away from some people I didn’t want to be away from. I wrote a book in 1997. I had my biggest loss in 2000. I had my moment of glory in 2001. I had my toughest moment in life in 2007, and I’m still living it.

I’m a risky person. I’m an adventurous person. I’m a brave person. Some people think I’m evil minded, I still don’t know why. I’ve never had a cigarette. I’ve never done drugs. I love the taste of whiskey. I remember what happened in 1983 better than I can remember what happened last week. Soccer is my biggest passion. I’m a huge fan of the soccer team of my hometown (Junior de Barranquilla). My biggest idol is for sure Ivan Valenciano.

I consider myself a very lucky person. I rarely go to church. I receive communion every time I go to church. 90% of the times I pray I receive whatever I’m praying for. I’ve had the chance to meet outstanding people. As an adult I have never been able to meet people as the ones I met as a child or as a youngster. I like talking about politics. I like talking about economics. I like talking about soccer. I like to tell my story. I enjoy listening to somebody else’s story. I’m an engineer. I would have liked to be a doctor without giving up the chance of being an Engineer. I had the chance to go to the Medicine School for one year when I already was an Engineer; I loved it.

I’m pro-love in all of its ways. I reject marriage in all of its ways, as I think it restricts the freedom of real love. I like to hold and lull babies, although I think I’ll never have any of my own. I think demagoguery is an art that should be learned and responsibly used. I eat healthy most of the time. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I can’t live without a blender. I won’t let myself have a pot belly, if that makes me a vain then I am.

All of these sentences didn’t follow any specific order, but all of them are true, a bit of who I am. Many things are missing, but I don’t want to make it longer as a courtesy to those who are reading (I’m sure you guys are not many). “The greatest men are those who try to reach impossible goals” (that was my motto eleven years ago, and it still is). Goog luck only hits those who deserve it, I wish you the best of luck.

JPDR

(written in New York City, Aug 2008)

No comments: